Thursday, September 24, 2009

The First Injury... Already?

Fourth Email from the MTC

Date: Thu 24 Sept 2009 1:00 PM

Hello family,

Well everything has been pretty good. Last Tuesday I did something really stupid, so stupid I don’t even wanna tell ya… ha-ha-ha. But I will tell you that my shoulder got hurt pretty badly. The MTC president’s wife, Hermana Wilson has been taking care of me, so it’s gotten a lot better. Well, this week has been crazy. Last Tuesday we said goodbye to an awesome group of elders and today we received a big group of new elders. I’m now the District Leader with the most time here. I get to conduct all the big meetings and teach a lot of lessons, which is awesome. My Spanish has been improving tremendously! Because of all the commotion and craziness of this week, they changed the schedule around a little bit. So yesterday we went Proselytizing! It was awesome. I taught the first lesson in Preach My Gospel 13 times to investigators on the street in Spanish! We were out for seven hours and were able to contact a ton of people. Out of the 13 lessons, I had about ten people commit to going to church this Sunday and I was able to give away three Books of Mormon and have people commit to read it! It was so awesome! I am starting to get used to this place, but sometimes it’s hard! For instance, yesterday I watched a pregnant dog get hit by a train and its back end was cut in half! It was pretty gross to watch. I wanted to help it, but there was nothing I could do and fearing I would get sick, I didn´t even touch it. So if you’re wondering if this place is different, the answer is YES! I didn’t think I liked the EPA until I got here where people just dump their trash all over the place and the streets smell like death. So I guess the government in America isn’t so bad when it is in moderation… ha-ha-ha. Well besides all of that, it’s been pretty good.  I’m having fun. I love to see the pictures you send me. I hope that package that you send me is small enough to go through customs without them seizing it. If it is too big, they will make me pay and the church doesn´t want to really bother with that, so I will never receive it. So I will just pray that I can get it and I’m sure it will come! Yes, if you’re wondering if my testimony has grown, I assure you that it has. This world we live in is amazing and so are all the billons of people who are on it. So amazing that I know that there had to be a God who made it all possible for it to happen! This gospel is amazing. It changes lives. I love you and I’m still alive. Today is the start of my fourth week on a mission. So keep me in your prayers and I will do the same.

Love your son, brother, uncle and friend

Elder John Sluder

3 comments:

  1. Okay so what did he do to his shoulder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...thanks for the details on that injury John...geesh! you can take the boy off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the boy! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANKS so much for keeping us updated Dad. I really look forward to reading your e-mails each Thursday John! Sorry to hear John got hurt, but it was bound to happen eventually. He's probably a little glad to get it out of the way early while he has someone to take care of him. So now we can hope he will make it without any more injuries for a while - lol. I just bought some goodies at wal-mart last night to send to John. I'm going to check it as a gift on the customs form and will be using a small priority mail envelope so I hope that will help him receive it okay. It's not much, just a few goodies (2 multi-packs of Orbit gum, beef jerky sticks, and kit kats). I tried to get things that were flat so they'd fit well in the small cardboard envelope. Just thought I'd share in case anyone is sending things so that we don't all send him too much of exactly the same thing! I'm so proud of John, it sounds like other than his shoulder hurting, he is doing really well as a missionary!!

    ReplyDelete