Saturday, September 5, 2009

Saying Goodbye

Ok...so you know on the day they are born that someday they will reach that magic age of 19. You talk about it from the time they can talk. You start a mission fund. It's mentioned in every ordinance they receive from confirmation through the offices of the Priesthood. You know it's coming and yet when the day arrives, you're somehow not quite ready to say goodbye. Well... at least that's the way it was for me!

Bittersweet is the right word. Bitter and sweet at the same time. Bitter to realize that my little boy has become a man. Bitter for the sense of loss I feel from his absence from our home. Bitter to think that it will be two long years before I can hug him again. Bitter because everything I see around me reminds me of him.

And in the midst of all that bitterness is the sweetness. Sweet from the joy I feel at his worthiness to serve the Lord. Sweet for his willingness to leave every comfort he has to go to a foreign land. Sweet for his obedience to follow our savior. Sweet for the wonderful experiences I know he will have. Sweet because I know in my heart that he is ready. Sweet because I know there are people out there who have been waiting for Elder Sluder.

This blog is my way of dealing with the bitter part. It's dedicated to my son, the missionary, but it's really for me and my therapy. I will post his weekly emails and letters. I will post pictures that will help to document his adventure as a missionary in Montevideo Uruguay.  Family and friends are welcome to share as well.

Some of the greatest things that have ever happened to me began with a goodbye to someone or something. I have trust in the Lord that this goodbye will lead to some of the choicest blessings in our lives.

1 comment: