Thursday, September 10, 2009

Elder Danger

Second email from the MTC... Sweet!

Date: Thu 10 Sep 2009 19:58:58

Hello every one,

How are you all doing! So this is my weekly thirty minute update to how I’m doing in the Argentina MTC. To be honest this experience has been the absolute hardest experience of my entire life. Every day I spend 8 to 12 hours learning Spanish in a small class room. Well the first night that I was here, the MTC President pulled me aside and said that he was inspired to call me as a District Leader. Wow! What an honor that was and what a blessing it has been in my life through this past week. I’m in charge of 7 elders and 3, soon to be 4 sisters. Me compañero es elder Stilwell and so far he seems to be absolutely great!

I no longer pray, testify, conduct class, speak in sacrament meeting, or teach in English… so everything in Spanish! I just got done going through my first session in the Buenos Aires Temple. It was done in Spanglish and for the first time I had to be pretty self-reliant. The people here are great and the food seems to be okay also... sorta... I have now eaten tons of cow tongue (the gift of tongues) and also lots of crab. The Latino Elders, who don’t speak any English, seem to like me. They call me Elder Peligro, which translates to Elder Danger. They claim that I’m the roughest fútbol player they have ever met! I play soccer with them every day and their foot work is just absolutely amazing, Fútbol is their passion. Me on the other hand, I run around and try to just kick the ball any direction as hard as I possibly can. But they say I’m pretty good for a North American and I’m always their first pick. I usually end up being one of the only white guys on the Latinos team. The people here are amazing and they are so funny.

The work has been quite hard and I’m trying to adjust to the fact that I can’t just do anything I want any time I want any more. But I will get better, that’s for sure. The spirit here is so strong and I have never felt so comfortable to pray. In fact I have never prayed this much ever in my life as I have here. Congrats Dad on your new calling! I know that they called you to be in the YM for a reason and I’m so happy for you. I have kept you guys in my prayers and I love you so very much! Mom and Dad, you are the best parents I could have ever asked for and I miss you. Once again I love all of you and miss you and thank you. God bless you.

Love, Elder Sluder

P.S. I only have thirty minutes a week to check and reply to your emails, so sorry if I didn’t respond to your emails, but keep sending em it was great to hear from you and instead I’ll write you back through the real mail system. Love you guys.

2 comments:

  1. Wow!!! How neat that the mission president was inspired to call John as district leader (especially considering his new nickname - lol!!) It doesn't surprise me at all that John would be a leader though - yaay John! And eating cow tongue and crab, I am so glad you are handling that okay (don't think I could)! John, we couldn't be more proud of you. I loved reading what you are up to and can't wait for next week's letter. Oh, and please don't worry about replying to all of our e-mails. I am perfectly okay with you just replying once to Dad to keep in touch with us all. There's just no way you could possibly keep up with replying to each of us individually, so I promise I won't feel bad if you never have time to reply directly. You need to stay focused on the important things, and not be stressed out about e-mailing. Have a great week and we love you lots Elder Peligro!

    ReplyDelete