Monday, December 28, 2009

The Work Continues

December 28, 2009

Hi Dad, Mom and family,

Hey what’s up? It was great talking to you on the phone for me also. Thanks for the money you put in my account. I really do appreciate it. They got a new ATM machine in Sarandi this past weekend, so I decided to try and use it this morning. Luckily it worked and I still have my card.

Dad thanks for the advice on the fireworks. I actually feel bad about the whole fireworks thing cause the rule in the missionary handbook says no fireworks. So I don’t plan to light any more off for my mission and neither do I plan to buy any. It’s really just a waste of money anyway. So thanks and yes I’m going to be really careful this New Years Eve.

After I got done talking to you on Friday, we went to visit the Barreto family. We were out on the street playing soccer and about two blocks up the way a man who was drunk tried to dart in front of a taxi on his motorcycle. Well the taxi driver had the right of way and I don’t really think he saw him. But needless to say, this man got hit pretty hard by the taxi. My companion and I watched the whole thing happen and immediately we ran to the accident. The man was about 50 years old, overweight and wasn’t wearing a shirt. Luckily he was wearing a helmet. He got really badly injured with road rash and a possible broken arm. So I did everything I knew I could do to assist this guy until the ambulance showed up. I was really careful cause I know with something like this, you can get a blood born sickness like hepatitis. So I really didn’t touch him. It really reminded me of my EFR training and was kinda fun. The ambulance crew said that they were surprised that I was able to help as much as I did.

Anyway a lot of people have been really sick in the ward these past few days, so every night we have been out late giving blessings and trying to help them as much as we can. Well anyways, yesterday in church I started feeling sick myself. Ever since then I have had stomach pains and dysentery. I have talked to the mission president and his wife and even the mission doctor, so I know I’m in good hands. I’m just taking it really easy and drinking lots of liquids. Besides these minor discomforts, things have been pretty good.

Thanks Dad for your letter to Paula Barreto, it was perfect! And yes, the grandfather of my companion is that guy, Miguel Rostaing. He actually died in an airplane crash with the rest of the Peruvian team and my companion’s uncle. At least that’s what my companion tells me.

I had no idea about the man on the flight with a bomb, that’s crazy! Yes, there are still things that are going on every day in this world that are crazy. It’s kinda scary, but I know that if we just live right and obey the commandments and try our hardest every day, in the end all will work out. Well, I love you all. Thanks for your support.

Your Son, Brother and Uncle

Elder John P Sluder

1 comment: