Saturday, December 5, 2009

First Baptism and a New Bike

November 30, 2009

Dear Dad, Mom and family,

What a week… let me tell ya!

My bike is really falling apart. I need to buy a new one that will last my whole mission. Last week when I went to my district meeting in Durazno, I also went bike shopping. The average price for a decent bike is between 250 and 350 American dollars. They don’t have Wal-Mart here. Can I spend this much on a bike? There is a very good chance that tomorrow in my district meeting in Durazno, I will receive my debit card. So while I’m in Durazno, can I have your permission to buy a new bike? I feel I really do need it. If so, you will need to put some money into my account to cover the expenses. I love you. It’s a great Christmas gift. Ha-ha-ha.

Well anyway, last night was the election of the new president in Uruguay. The winner is a guy named Pepe Mujica. He’s a lot like Obama, so I’m not too happy, but the people were sure partying in the streets last night.

I had my first baptism ever in my entire life last night. I had to do it twice because the first time I didn’t get his name correct. His name is Luis Rodolfo Zaidan Ogando! It was very difficult and yes, all in Spanish!

The work’s been great here. I am so glad to hear that you had a great Thanksgiving. I miss you all and love you a lot. Dad, if you can respond ASAP to my email that would be great. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Love, your son
Elder Sluder

Note from Dad: I responded to John’s request with some advice, telling him to be frugal and not over do it. We did put enough money into his account to cover the cost of a new bike. Later in the day I received this short note:

Dad,

Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it and do respect it. When I go to Durazno tomorrow, I will try to do what is right and what the Lord wants me to do. Thank you very much. I love you and appreciate all that you do. And Mom… happy birthday! Sorry I couldn’t be there to celebrate it in person.

Love, your son
Elder Sluder

P.S. The people in the picture from left to right are: Elder Vargas, Hermano Barreto, Daniel Haverio, Luis Zaidan and me. Love ya.

Note from Dad: John apparently did find a bike since his debit card was charged the next day!


My first baptism!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like he had another great week. Love the pic! It is always inspiring to see young missionaries lined up with their investigators...I know your doing a great job John!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh John is looking sooo grown up. It's amazing. I guess Durazno is the name of the town???? Okay....

    ReplyDelete