Monday, January 4, 2010

What a Way to Start a New Year!

January 4, 2009

Hello dear family,

Well, what a week I have had! How’s everything going in winter wonderland? Dad it sounds like everything is as it should be at home. Yes, I’m going to be very grateful and very excited to use your new snow blower when I get home!

This has been a strange week. I have experienced probably the worst and best experiences of my mission so far this week. I’ll start with the worst. I don’t want to write this, by-the-way sounding like I’m sad, so don’t think I am. Because really now I’m pretty much over it.

Last Monday night we held a large family home evening with two recent converts, an investigator, and a member of four years. When it was all over, the member of four years started complaining and then told me that Elder Vargas and I were the worst missionaries that she had ever come across. Then she started talking really bad about all the people in the ward and of course, it was all rumors. I really wouldn’t have taken too much offense to it, but with our new members and investigator present, I had to respond and defend our reputation. So I asked her how we as missionaries could help her solve her problems. She asked if we could visit her more often and help her have the spirit more in her life. Yes, I know, it’s kind of pathetic. After a person has been an active member for four years, they should know that through scripture study and prayer and being obedient to the commandments, you can have the spirit with you always. Well I agreed and set up an appointment with her Wednesday morning, thinking maybe my companion and I could help her out. In the meantime, I mentioned it to the Relief Society president and she informed me that this sister has had a lot of problems with missionaries in the past. The Relief Society President agreed to go along with us and maybe help us out. By this time, I really didn’t want to go visit her at all any more, but because we had made an appointment, I had no other choice. So we planned of a spiritual thought for her and on Wednesday morning we went and visited. We shared our spiritual thought with her and my companion and I both felt it was right and that we taught well and with the spirit like we were supposed to. After we finished, she criticized us and the Relief Society President and all the things in the ward. It brought the Relief Society President to tears. I ended it by telling this sister that we can no longer teach or be here because the spirit is gone and its time for us to leave. This is what “Preach My Gospel” says to do in this situation. Then yesterday, during fast and testimony meeting, this same sister stood to bear her testimony. She told the whole ward about this and said that the missionaries in the ward are horrible and that we don’t teach at all with the spirit. Wow, I really didn’t know what to do. My companion and I were very upset and very confused. After the meeting, we had about half the ward approach us and apologize for her. They let me know that she has done this same thing in the past with other missionaries. They all said that they were grateful for the missionaries and they hope this doesn’t stop or slow down the work.

After talking with the Mission President about this, he counseled that we need to go apologize for anything we may have done that has wronged her and after apologizing, to never go and visit her again. He will make sure that other missionaries will not visit her either. So today, after this email time, we’re going to go apologize. Rough. I know why a mission is a humbling experience now. I hate rumors and Relief Society drama. It destroys strong testimonies in the gospel and it’s sad to me that there is really nothing we can do for this sister any more. Ultimately, her pride is going to destroy her.

This week has also been super hot and humid. I’ve been sick off and on. New Years is such a big celebration, it seems everyone is too busy to talk to us. It has made the work incredibly difficult.

At the same time this week with all the difficulties, I have seen miracles. We have had a lot of breakthroughs and very spiritual lessons with our investigators, especially with one family in particular. This is a family named Menessis. For the whole time I have been in Sarandi, we have been teaching them. They really haven’t accepted our message and I never had much hope for them.

Well Saturday morning we sat down with the parents to share a spiritual thought. The father is a 5’ 8” tall man with a huge belly and he refuses to ever put a shirt on. He is usually a brick wall and I feel that he really doesn’t listen. Anyway, we mentioned something about life after death and I think it piqued something in his mind and he started to listen. He started to really ask some serious questions. Before I knew it, this man was holding on to me, sobbing like a baby. It was a bit strange, but he was very upset over the death of his brother and his children. I tried my best to console him and we assured him that we can all have families eternal. We set a baptism date with the mother and plan to set one with him next week. It was awesome! It helped me get through this tough week and stay focused on the work and what’s really important. I’m so grateful for my eternal family and the knowledge of this gospel that makes families eternal. I know that if I just do what’s right in this life, in the end all will work out. Thank you for all you do and have a wonderful week.

Love,
Elder John P Sluder

P.S. We are trying something new here in Sarandi. We’ve started a soccer league. We got permission to start the league this past week from the Bishop. Last week we had about 14 non members show up to the soccer concha at the church. Next week we expect even more. It is awesome and I hope that it can help us have more doors opened to us.

I didn’t touch one firework this past weekend. I’m very proud of myself! I did buy a DVD player with a screen last week. I’ve used it in five lessons this past week and I think it was worth every penny. It cost a little more than I expected, but I’m being super careful with it and trying to always keep it safe. Sorry for all the expenditures. Love ya… Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. O, this is the stuff that makes us stronger. While it is so heart wrenching to go through it is good for us.

    John sounds so mature. His writing is getting better too.

    Great letter!

    ReplyDelete