Monday, July 11, 2011

Work is Going Well in Parque Del Plata

July 4, 2011

Dear Family,

Wow what a week!! Well it’s been cold as usual and we have been working through it and enjoying this time we have to work as best we can. My companion is doing very, very well and has been able to endure his problems and help out the missionary work. This week we had several very clear days where the sun came out and were really able to enjoy the weather. My good friend Jose Merola from Minas has a summer home in Parque Del Plata and so Saturday they called me up. We had an awesome asado (barbeque) with him and the Branch President from Minas and their families. It was so awesome. We were able to celebrate the 4th of July Uruguayo style and they even came to church in my ward here on Sunday. It was GREAT!!!

The work has gone well and we’re currently finding whole families to teach. Things look really good and it seems like the work is about to explode and just take off for us right now. AND MY COMPANION IS A STUD!

I have already made some good friends here. I have been working with an inactive family and yesterday I got to bless their baby. The tradition here is that after the blessing, everyone in the circle (there were 4 of us) have to kiss the baby in front of the congregation. Well I didn’t know that one and when I handed the baby over to one of the brethren, he took it and kissed it and then put it in my face to kiss also. Anyway… very interesting!

Well now here is the time to tell you some bad news. As you know there is opposition in everything. Friday morning I went and took my monthly money from the church out of my account. I put it in an envelope and put it away. What was in the envelope was 3000 pesos Uruguayos. At 18 pesos to the dollar, it’s about $166 dollars American. After I finished my reembolsos and other financial things, we had some left over paper and receipts that needed to be destroyed. We put it all together and threw it into the wood burning stove. Ever since then, we haven’t been able to find the 3000 pesos that were in the envelope. I couldn’t really imagine that I would do something as stupid and irresponsible as to burn 3000 pesos. But I have looked everywhere and I can’t find it anywhere. I have spent hours looking through every last document that I own and all over our tiny house, but it is nowhere to be found. I spoke with the financers of the mission and they asked if I had an emergency fund. I told them I do and I have 1000 pesos for emergency. And they told me to use it and budget well and use my personal means if possible. Just so you know dad, I took 700 pesos out of my account to pay our fast offerings.

I want to let you know this because I imagine this month things are going to get really tight. I do have 1000 pesos emergency fund (about 50 bucks), but that’s not going to last me very long. In two weeks, I am also expecting to receive another 1000 from the reimbursals that I just sent in. But I really am going to need a hand on this one. I will continue searching for the benefit of the doubt. With the way things cost here in this tourist city, I had figured out my budget perfectly with the amount that I had.

I am sorry for the inconvenience and the dumb mistake. Let me know what to do. Besides all of this dad I hope you have a good week and that all things go well. I’ll keep you all in my prayers

LOVE,
ELDER SLUDER

No comments:

Post a Comment