Monday, November 29, 2010

33 Needs Lots of Work!

11-29-2010

Dear Dad and Mom,

Well it sounds like you had a heck of an adventure yesterday. As for me… not so much. It’s just really, really hot. Every once in a while we are blessed and we have a nice, ten minute long thunderstorm roll through.

Well, 33 (Treinta Y Tres) needs a lot of work! Yesterday we had our third week in a row without one investigator in church. There were about 30 people in sacrament meeting and the people seem to be just fine with it. The most frustrating part is that not one of our members has asked us where or even who our investigators are. They all seem to be completely tired of missionary work. They are very down and very negative toward the work. We passed around our lunch calendar in Relief Society for the month of December and out of 20 women, only 2 decided to feed us. We had to go into Relief Society and speak with them again. They all just ended up fighting with one another, calling each other selfish and cheap for not wanting to feed the missionaries. It was ridiculous, but luckily they all seemed to talk each other into feeding us and so at least we now have lunch almost every day of the month. Ha-Ha-Ha! We had some problems this past week with the missionaries in our zone. We had to have an emergency transfer of two elders. The elder who was switched was my old buddy (and huge trouble maker) from Minas, Elder Lopez. It was sure an interesting week! The whole zone just seems to want to do their own thing. We had district meeting this morning and every companionship showed about 15-20 minutes late. But that really wasn’t the bad part. The worst thing was, they were all late because instead of doing their studies as they were supposed to do, they decided to get together and play a nice 3 hour game of soccer at the stake center this morning… a three hour game of soccer that they just happened to forget to inform us about. Also, one of the elders broke his hand also during the game this morning and so right now we are just waiting to hear from President Da Silva’s wife (who acts as our mission doctor). I know she is going to be very upset. I can’t wait for that call....... WE HAVE ALOT OF WORK TO DO!

Besides all that, I’m super excited for Christmas that’s coming up. We’re going to have ourselves a nice Christmas party again; I can’t wait. This Thursday I have to go to Montevideo again for a zone leader council. I’m pretty excited. President Arnold our area president is planning on coming and I’m sure we’re going to be learning something new. I’ve met President Arnold before, but it was in a meeting of about 80 missionaries. I’m excited because there are only 22 zone leaders in the mission. The meeting will be much smaller and we will get to talk a little more.

Today I was riding my bike down the street and I heard someone calling my name. I looked and it Jose Merola from Minas. He gave me a big old hug and we talked for about thirty minutes. It was so great to talk with him after so much time. He says that when you guys show up, we’re going to have a huge asado!!!!! (Barbecue)

Well besides that, I’m doing it. I’m doing my job and it’s been tough. We shall see what happens in these next few weeks, but I believe that we are in for some really big changes here in 33. Well, I love you both. I’m doing great I guess. I hope that the Hofelings didn’t tell you too much stuff about me. I’m very, very grateful to hear that you had a good Thanksgiving and you were able to make it home safely. Count your many blessings. Feliz Cumpleaños. I love you guys so much.

Love, Elder Sluder

1 comment:

  1. Love you John! You'll make it through. Good comes from challenges sometimes. We'll be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete