Saturday, December 11, 2010

Many Challenges in 33 and a Few Bumps in the Road

Note from Dad: We visited Nathan Hofeling in Cedar City on our way home from Las Vegas on Thanksgiving weekend. Elder Hofeling had served with John and just returned from Uruguay. He gave us a box of letters and other stuff that John wanted to send home. In the box was a small white paper box, about 1.5" square with tape and writing on all sides that say "Do not open". There is also an envelope that says do not open until December 24th. These are the items that he talks about in the first part of this week's letter. A mystery is brewing!

12-06-2010

Dear Dad and Mom and Family,

What a week! It sure was tough, let me tell ya. But before I get into that, I want to answer some of the questions you have about the little box and stuff I sent home. The little white box doesn’t contain anything for you. But if you find it to be kinda strange, I promise you that it will get even stranger after you open your letter for Christmas! Just so you know, there are no SD cards in the package. Sorry, I didn’t have time to get that part made up. But I do plan to send one… one of these days. The letter for the 24th of December is also very important. Just stay excited for what I have written to you there. It’s very important. After you open it, you need to keep it close by or with the little white box. When the time comes to open the white box and find out what’s inside, everything will be in order. Be patient and I promise you that the time will come and if you just wait and don’t jump the gun, it will all be worth it in the end. Just as another clue, this will not be solved in the month of December. It won’t be solved in January either; it will take time, so exercise patience. And yes it will get even weirder before it’s over.

My week has been incredibly long and quite interesting. On Tuesday night I received a call from Presidente Da Silva. He flat out told me that he had just gotten off the phone with President Arnold who had just gotten off the phone with Elder Scott who all wanted to convey the message that 33 must be made a stake in March, before general conference in April. About 80% of the work that we have to do to make this happen will come from our zone. This has now become a very real thing and it’s not just a distant dream. It definitely worries us, but if God said it can be done, it can be done! To reach this goal, we need 7 baptisms in the month of December (in our branch only) and in the entire district we need 26. That’s a lot considering that in November they had 4, in October they had 0 and in September they also had 0. We have to work super hard and I imagine these next few weeks will be very interesting. On Thursday we had our meeting in Montevideo with President Mervin B. Arnold. If you want to see a picture of him, he spoke in the last session of this past general conference. He definitely cleared up any doubt about this stake goal we have and we now look forward to see what’s going to come of all these new things we are about to apply. It was a very spiritual meeting and one that I will never forget.

Yesterday we were waiting for 13 investigators in church. We even went by to pick some of them up, but when all was said and done, we had no one show up. We had 28 people in church yesterday and it was quite sad. I don’t really understand what’s happening, but we are trying our hardest and were just going to give it all we have. With all of this, it made our Sunday very stressful. Then yesterday on top of everything else, I ended up killing a dog. I was riding my bike very fast down a hill trying to get to church on time. I was going 30 KmPH (I have a speedometer on my bike) and a big dog ran out in front of me. I slammed on my brakes and missed it, but right behind the big dog was a little white house dog.... and I hit it. I was skidding with my back tire because my front brakes don’t work so well. After my front tire went over its head, my skidding back tire did a number on its body. It was disgusting and it really grossed me out. I didn’t wreck or anything but it definitely took the dog out!!!!! And thinking of the experience that Steven had on his mission in South Africa with the dog he hit with his car, I didn’t want to stop. So I just kept on going. It was horrible!

This week I will be gone for about three days to help rescue a small branch of about 30 active members in a small town about an hour south of 33, in the town of Verela. They are really struggling and need some extra help, so I will be out of 33 Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. So that’s the plan for now.

Well I love you all so very much and look forward to talking to you all on the 25th. I’m cool with whatever, so just tell me what number to call and I will let you know at what time. This year will be a little more stressful. We have a lot more going on this year than we did last year. I´ll figure it all out and let you know. Well for now just have a spectacular week and know that I love you all. Dad… Study that Spanish, that’s all they speak here!

Love,
Elder Sluder

No comments:

Post a Comment