Monday, July 26, 2010

Back in Minas and Enjoying the Work

July 26, 2010

Dear Family,

Well I’m back in Minas. Cool huh. The mission conference was great and it was even better to stay in the hostel. The hostel is a hotel located behind the temple for the people who go to the temple. It’s pretty much like living in the U.S.A. again. I got the opportunity to work with some very good missionaries and I really learned a lot in my short time working in Montevideo. When I came back on Wednesday it was really the same old same old. Nothing too new.... Well I take that back. One of the Elders has pretty much gone off the deep end. The mission president called last night and talked to him for about an hour on the phone. This morning he tried to pack his bags and said he was leaving to go back to Paraguay. It’s ridiculous. I’m just happy he’s not my companion!

My companion is great! He’s definitely my opposite though. It’s really funny; I can see what I need to change to become better by the kind of companions the Lord assigns me. My companion loves to study! Me... Well I do it only when I have to do it. So we’ll see if I develop some better study habits after this change.

Everything still seems to be coming along with the baptisms that we’ve been planning. This next week we’ll be planning a wedding for two of our investigators who we plan to baptize at the end of this change. They both said that they want to do it and they want to get baptized. They are the most awesome family I have ever met too. Their names are Federico y Virginia. So on that side of things it looking really great.

It was really great to see the picture of the parade and to see the missionaries of Cache Valley. I’m super happy to see every one alright. Hey Uncle Phil… My best uncle ever! Thanks for your email. We don’t really eat anything too strange here; it’s mostly all Italian food. But I have had Armadillo and Carpincho which is a giant rat, the world biggest rodent. But we eat those kinds of things very rarely.

Note from Dad: Carpincho are also known as Capybara.
See: http://www.itsnature.org/ground/mammals-land/capybara/

Well here it ain’t so warm… it’s about 9 degrees Celsius (48 degrees F) and the humidity is like 110%, so the cold just goes right through you. Besides that, I’m doing much better health wise. I went out and bought some antibiotics and I’m pretty much all better.

I included some pictures… one is of the baptism of Virginia that we held last Saturday. In the picture of our baptism is my new comp Elder Thornton. The other one is of the Catholic Church here in Minas that I just took about 20 minutes ago and the last one is... Well I forgot… anyways enjoy! So well I guess I’ll talk to you all next week. Thanks for everything

Love you,
Elder John Sluder


John, Virginia and Elder Thornton


The Catholic Church in Minas


John and his trainer Nahuel Trigueros
at the MTC in Argentina.

No comments:

Post a Comment