Monday, June 7, 2010

Having Success in Minas

June 7, 2010

Dear Father,

Well how is everything going? I’m still doing alright. I’m still just doing the same old, same old missionary work. Right now I’m in Maldonado. We spent P-day down here today and visited Punta del Este. Today we went and saw the Hand in the Sand statue here in Punta del Este. We also went to the only Burger King in all of Uruguay. It was so strange. I felt like I was back in the United States. It was an awesome experience to have.

My new companion, Elder Coyago from Ecuador is super, super quiet and hardly talks. It’s not that he’s afraid to talk; it’s just how he is. He’s really just a super chill guy and doesn’t want to lead and just says what ever you want to do, let’s do it. I have been the one who has been leading every lesson and pretty much all the work we had this past week in our area. It’s been a really good opportunity to grow as a missionary and not always have to rely on my companion for everything. I pretty much feel confident in everything missionary work wise now.

This past week we set a baptismal date with a woman named Cristina. She plans to be baptized on the 3rd of July. She is unbelievable! The first time Elder Maluff and I contacted her, she asked if it was a sin to kill herself. She just hated her life and didn’t want to live any more. She had recently gone through a long battle with breast cancer and had her right breast removed. She didn’t understand why God didn’t take her off the earth. She said she just wanted to die and was extremely mad at the world. Then she slammed the door in our face. We went back to her house a week later. I didn’t really know why we went back. I think that we thought it would be fun to talk to the crazy lady again. Surprisingly, she let us in and we taught her. We have been teaching her for about four weeks and today we set a goal that she will stop smoking on the 30th of June. She is super excited about it and I can’t wait. We also have plans by the end of this cambio to baptize several families that we have now found.

Besides all of that, I’m doing great. My health has returned completely back to normal. Just know that I’m fine and don’t worry about me. I’m so happy to hear about mom and I will keep her in my prayers so that she will be safe. I love you all so very much and I’m so happy to hear dad that you are having all the experiences that you are having in Young Men and your choir.

Love you all so much,
Elder Sluder


 La Mano en la Arena (The Hand in the Sand)
on the beach at Punte del Este.

No comments:

Post a Comment