Monday, March 22, 2010

Week Two in Miñas - I'm Doing GREAT!

March 22, 2010

Dear Family,
Wow… another week gone by and I don’t know what happened to the time. I have had a very successful week and I’m doing great!


Life here in Miñas is definitely different than the life I had in Sarandi Del Yi. The work has been great and my companion, Elder Maluff has been awesome! My companion and I worked hard this week to find new investigators and we are now teaching some really awesome families. So that’s been great! We have been planning some awesome activities here in Miñas and have plans this Friday night to have a movie night. I got my hands on a copy of the new “Joseph Smith, prophet of the restoration” movie in Spanish and we plan to show it here in Miñas. We found a projector and plan to have a huge movie night and invite everyone in the city. The thing about it is, there aren’t any movie theaters in town because they just don’t really exist in South America. The people we have invited so far are excited and we plan to have an awesome program. We also have a branch fútbol tournament planned for this next upcoming Monday. We announced it last Sunday in church and everyone in the branch got super excited. We hope to bring excitement and spirit into this branch so that it will be ready to accept the new converts that we plan to baptize. We also want to let the members know that we do need them and we appreciate their help. So far this has been working. We had a branch activity the other night. I taught the lesson and we had about 40 people show up and afterwards we made some tortas fritas. It worked out great and we definitely could see that it helped when we went to church on Sunday.

Yesterday at church, we had a branch conference and had great attendance once again. The stake president spoke and said that he wanted this branch to become a ward in the next year or so. So that is now our main goal. We are looking for new priesthood holders and praying for miracles.

We have seen our miracles this week and I have learned that there is no better feeling than when one of your investigators looks at you and says that they read the Book of Mormon and they felt something special.

Mom, I think it’s funny that you mentioned Alma 17 in your letter. I had just read about that this morning in studies and it really is incredible. I’m also reading the journal of Levi Jackman daily. It’s unbelievable! I’m about halfway through and I love it. He was an awesome example of a missionary.

Well, I don’t have much more time. I plan to send you guys some pictures. We had a rain storm last night and it’s starting to get cold here. Here are some pictures of us four missionaries who live together here in Miñas. Elder Maluff is my companion. He is the Latino; he says "good looking one". Elder Haws is the extremely tall Rubio (blonde). And Elder Powell is the guy that’s going bald. He looks a lot older than he really is. Ha Ha Ha They are all so great!

I’m doing really well and look forward to talking to you all in about a month for Mother’s day. Well thanks mom and dad for keeping me informed. I love you guys very much and I hope you have another wonderful week.

Love, Your Son,
Elder John P. Sluder

By the way, I wanted the photos of the family reunion that were taken in front of the house and were all wearing brown and everyone is there.


Left to right: Elder Maluff, Elder Sluder, Elder Haws and Elder Powell


Left ro right: Elder Maluff, Elder Sluder, Elder Haws and Elder Powell


Left to right: Elder Sluder, Elder Maluff and Elder Powell

1 comment:

  1. O geeze I'm getting old. They look like a bunch of boys, even the one John says looks older than he is and is going bald?????

    I cannot believe it's almost time to have a phone call again. Wow! I'm excited...

    ReplyDelete