Monday, February 22, 2010

Continuing to Heal and Getting Back to Work

February 22, 2010

Dear Family,

Well another week has gone by and I’m still here in Montevideo doing the same old stuff. It’s interesting that you shared my email with the Stake President and he’s sharing it with the Bishops now. I’m also glad to hear that they have hope for Kyler and I too hope that he can get better and back out. I’m living in the mission offices in the Carrasco neighborhood of Montevideo. We are only a few blocks from the temple and it’s almost like being in America again. The houses here are very American-like and nice. It is known as the nicest area of Montevideo. Here in the office, I live with five other American missionaries and one missionary from Mexico. They all speak English; we have had a great time speaking English together. The other day they asked me if I would pray in English before we left the house. I think it was my first English prayer in public for a while and it was horrible. Ha ha ha

I don’t live in the mission home with the president. He lives a few blocks down the road on the same block as the temple. Last Tuesday was the office workers p-day. Presidente Da Silva called and asked if anyone was up for a game of futbol. It was pretty awesome. Of course, they didn’t let me play, but it was still fun to sit and watch them duke it out. The truth is, my 50 year old Mission President is a whole lot better soccer player than all of the American office missionaries combined. I watched him make several goals and every time it just made me laugh. I think growing up in Latino America automatically makes you a great soccer player.

Last week I also went out to start working. It was great to get out once again. My first days were a little difficult and by the end of the day I was definitely ready to go home and get in bed. But I have slowly gotten used to it and yesterday I worked my first full day and I came home feeling great. My health right now is great and the doctors tell me that I’m making a miraculously fast and successful recovery and that I can soon return to my area of Sarandi Del Yi. My old companion is still in Sarandi. They gave him what is called a corto plazo. That is a young man who is trying the mission out to see if it’s what he wants to do. It’s also known as a mini-mission. Luckily the Bishop in Sarandi found a great kid in the ward and from what I hear, they are doing well.

I have not yet received your package dad, but I figure it will be here in the next few days. I received Jennifer’s package about a week before I had surgery and it helped out a ton and I loved it so thank you! I really do appreciate it.

Yesterday I went out and worked with Elder Carlock who is the secretary here in the offices. He’s from New Jersey. We started out by going to church. He is in the same ward that both my Mission President and the Mission President from Montevideo West are in. We also have the Temple President and about 4 American couple missionaries in the ward. We have several families also from the United States that work for the U.S. embassy here in Uruguay. All in all it was really almost like being in a Sacrament Meeting back home in the U.S.A. Really the only difference was that it was still in Spanish. It was great and I really enjoyed it. We then went out in the afternoon and contacted and sat down with several people and did missionary work. It was great.

Tomorrow I have a doctor’s appointment to remove my stitches and then I might be able to go back to my area. I figure if they do let me go back to Sarandi Del Yi, it won’t be for very long. The change is coming up in about two weeks. It has been my assigned area now for three changes and usually missionaries don’t have more than that in one area. I figure when I do leave, I will be kind of sad. It’s now been the place that I have called home for some time and I have grown attached to it. To be honest though, I don’t really know. It all depends on where I’m supposed to go and who I’m supposed to meet and talk with.

Anyway, I’m alive and I’m doing great. When this week ends and we go into March, I will be starting the 7th month of my mission. Time has gone by ridiculously fast and I can’t even believe it. That’s a 1/4 of my mission! I feel very blessed and I know that the Lord has helped me every step of the way. I love it here in Uruguay. I’m having the time of my life. Thank you for all of your support, prayers and love. I hope that you all have a good week.

Love, Elder John P. Sluder

1 comment: